How we pick our products
A chainsaw will become your best friend if you need to prune or cut wood. This tool will save you a whole lot of time and sore muscles, whether it’s to trim your garden’s hedges or to remove a stump. Modern machines offer a lot of power and an improved performance that will make your life easier.
Nowadays, chainsaws are designed for all kinds of uses. They come with different guide bar sizes, adjustable power, and petrol or electric motors. There truly is a chainsaw for every job and every budget. We’ve designed the following article to help you find the model that best suits your needs, as well as to introduce you to the best chainsaws on the market.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our recommendation: The best chainsaws on the Australian market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about chainsaws
- 3.1 What is a chainsaw exactly?
- 3.2 What are the different parts of a chainsaw?
- 3.3 How should I adjust my saw carburettor?
- 3.4 What types of chainsaws are available out there?
- 3.5 What are the best chainsaw brands?
- 3.6 What care does my chainsaw require?
- 3.7 What are important functions in a chainsaw?
- 3.8 What care do chains require?
- 3.9 What safety measures should I take to use a chainsaw?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- There are different types of chainsaws depending on their engine. The most common and powerful chainsaws use petrol and are ideal for hard everyday work. You can also find models with electric motors, cabled or wireless.
- You’ll need a very strong petrol chainsaw with a large guide bar to cut down big and thick trees. On the other hand, smaller and less powerful models will be enough to prune your trees.
- The length of the guide bar will determine the size of the trees you can cut. A larger guide bar will naturally allow you to go for bigger trunk diameters. Each chainsaw has a specific length ,so don’t overlook this aspect.
Our recommendation: The best chainsaws on the Australian market
There is a great variety of chainsaws out there, with different engines, guide bars and power. It can be challenging to pick the right model or type of tool for your needs. For this reason, we’ve designed the section below to introduce you to the best options available on the Australian market. We’re confident this will help you in your purchase.
- BLACK+DECKER CS2245-XE (Electric)
- MTM MTX100 Pro-Series (Petrol)
- Giantz 92CC (Petrol)
- Bosch NanoBlade (Electric)
- Baumr-AG Pro-Series SX62 (Petrol)
BLACK+DECKER CS2245-XE (Electric)
Black & Decker has been a leader in the tools industry for decades now, and the quality of their products is known the world over. This is why it shouldn’t surprise you that their CS2245-XE chainsaw tops our ranking. It has become Amazon’s Choice in the category, and it is because it combines quality and affordability. It’s a great all-round chainsaw to fit most uses.
This electric model is corded and comes with the adequate features to make its use as safe as possible. These include a chain brake system, a hand guard and an anti-vibration feature to make use more comfortable. The guide bar allows you to cut wood of up to 45 centimetres in diameter. This chainsaw also has an auto-oiling system to keep the chain lubricated at all times.
MTM MTX100 Pro-Series (Petrol)
MTM is a leading brand manufacturer of power tools for both commercial and domestic gardening applications. This chainsaw is a little different from other products on this list, as it comes attached to a pole. This makes this tool ideal for pruning trees, and the three extension poles it comes with will allow you to reach branches that are over 5 metres high.
Note that this will add extra weight to the tool, and you may require assistance during use. This petrol chainsaw has a capacity of 1 litre and an easy start system. It also features an automatic lubricating system, and the guide bar measures 30 centimetres. The tool also comes with a set of protective gear that include gloves, ear muffs and a shoulder strap.
Giantz 92CC (Petrol)
Giantz chainsaws have built a serious reputation on the Australian market, and the brand’s 92CC petrol chainsaw is a force to be reckoned with. With the ability to cut down trees with a maximum diameter of 58 centimetres, it has the largest guide bar of our ranking. This heavy-duty chainsaw is wear and heat-resistant, and this is a great choice for professionals, too.
For your safety, this model features braking and anti-vibration systems. The double recoil combined feature allows you to quickly start your chainsaw without any effort. It comes with a whole kit so you can start using it straight away: protective gear, a chain cover and a teeth sharpener. This product comes with a one-year warranty.
Bosch NanoBlade (Electric)
If you know anything about tools, there’s no asking whether you know Bosch. This 150-year old German company has been a leader in the engineering and construction of tools for decades now. Their experience is a testimony to the quality of their products, and their micro chainsaw is a great tool to have at home. This battery-powered model takes little space but will still do the job.
The NanoBlade is incredibly light, weighing less than one kilo. The steel bar allows you to cut through 65 millimetres of wood. It’s naturally less than other models on this list, but the flexibility of this model more than makes up for it. Past customers have said that this little guy was ideal to cut and trim branches. It comes with a two-year warranty.
Baumr-AG Pro-Series SX62 (Petrol)
Baumr-AG is an Australian brand that manufactures high quality tools for your home. Their SX62 model is very similar to MTM’s model further up our list, with a 62cc displacement and guide bar of 30 centimetres. This arborist chainsaw has a patented easy start system for stress-free use. Weighing in at almost 7 kilos, this model is on the heavier side.
The Pro-Series SX62 has a maximum power of 4.5 HP, which will allow you to cut through just about any type of wood. It also has the necessary safety functionalities that you would expect from a quality tool. The chainsaw comes with a full set that includes protective gear, a chain sharpener and a bar sleeve for extra safety.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about chainsaws
Chainsaws are tools designed to help you in your forestry work. These heavy machines can save you time when you’re cutting wood or pruning trees. A chainsaw is your best option whether you want to cut firewood or a whole tree. In the next section, we look at the most frequently asked questions by past users to help you choose the right model.
What is a chainsaw exactly?
These mechanical saws have different types of motors. The most common ones are petrol – or two-stroke – engines. These models require oil to lubricate the internal parts. Electric motor saws are also available and tend to come with a cable. The most recent models use lithium batteries for power and are lighter but less powerful.
What are the different parts of a chainsaw?
We’ve listed the key components of a chainsaw for you:
- Guide bar: This is the support on which the chain spins. Each model will come with a different length. We encourage you to check the technical characteristics and stick to the recommendations of the manufacturer.
- Oiling system: It prevents your tool from overheating. Two different systems exist: chain lubrication and engine lubrication. If you have a petrol model, you need to make sure your engine is always lubricated.
- Chain tensioner: This system is designed to keep the chain taut. Otherwise, the chain could break off and cause accidents during use.
- Speed control: Generally located on the left side, it allows you to control the speed and acceleration of the chainsaw.
- Chain catcher: This is a key safety feature. It will block the chain inside the frame of the tool in case it suddenly breaks. It generally comes with a protector on the left hand.
- Chain brake: This special brake will stop the tool in case of kickback.
How should I adjust my saw carburettor?
You will have to reset them if, for instance, the chain starts idling or if it stops working. If the carburettor is slower after choking, you may also have to adjust it. You should always clean the air filter and the screen muffler before configuring it again. Here’s how you can do that:
- Turn the chainsaw on and let the engine warm up.
- Find the adjustment screws of the carburettor. These are usually labelled with letters: H, L and LA. The H screw adjusts the air-fuel mixture at high speed, while the L is for the mixture at low speed. Finally, the LA screw adjusts the idle speed of your chainsaw.
- Check the air filter. Replace it if it is not clean. Check the muffler filter and make sure it is clean, too. Change if it’s in bad shape.
- Turn the H screw counterclockwise with a small flathead screwdriver. Don’t turn it more than a three-quarter turn. Turn the L screw clockwise until it stops, then counterclockwise one quarter of a turn.
What types of chainsaws are available out there?
Here is a table explaining the different types available to you:
|Electric||Electric motor connected to a power socket||35 to 40 cm in diameter||Soft wood up to 20 cm in diameter||Domestic gardening: cutting hedges and fine wood|
|Battery-powered||Electric motor with lithium batteries ranging from 18 to 36 volts||20 cm in diameter||Soft woos up to 15 cm in diameter||Tasks where great power isn’t required, such as pruning hedges and trees|
|Petrol||Two-stroke petrol engine||40 cm in diameter||All types of woods, even thick and hard||Intensive daily work, logging, pruning and cutting|
What are the best chainsaw brands?
One of the most prestigious brands in the industry is Stihl. While their models may be on the more expensive side, they are the best you can find out there. Husqvarna is another traditional brand that sells a wide range of models, sizes and features. Other well-known brands include Bosch, Black+Decker, Giantz and MTM.
What care does my chainsaw require?
- Clean the chain after each use.
- The chain must always be sharp. Check the teeth and sharpen it regularly.
- Two-stroke petrol engines must always be lubricated. Change the oil whenever necessary.
- Keep the chain lubricated and ready to cut. The chain needs clean oil to operate properly, just like the engine.
- Each chainsaw supports a specific guide bar and chain length appropriate to its power. Anything different will negatively impact its performance. If you use a longer guide bar than recommended, the tool will lose speed and cutting power. If it’s smaller, it will rev too much and also lose power.
- You must always keep the machine’s filters clean.
- Check the chain tension before every use. Overly tight chains can break, or free themselves if they are too loose.
- Replace your chain immediately if you notice that it is deteriorated or if the saw teeth are badly worn.
- Check the spark plugs if your chainsaw has a petrol engine. They must be clean and in good condition.
What are important functions in a chainsaw?
Some models have self-lubricating systems for the chain, meaning that you don’t have to worry about changing the oil. The chain tensioner is also an important aspect to consider, and you can tighten and change the chain of certain chainsaws without tools. The handles should also absorb the vibrations for optimal use.
What care do chains require?
Place your chainsaw in a bench clamp or secure it firmly to avoid it from moving to sharpen its teeth. Fasten the chain brake to prevent it from sliding, and place the gauge so that the blades point towards the guide abr. Place the sharpening block at a right angle to the rollers and sharpen each tooth with a smooth pass.
What safety measures should I take to use a chainsaw?
- Always wear protective gloves, safety goggles, a helmet and hearing protection.
- Wear safety clothing if possible: leg protectors and safety overalls.
- Keep the chainsaw clean and fit for use at all times.
- Always operate the chainsaw alone. The user should always be the only one in the radius of action of the tool.
- Keep the tool off and the guide bar sleeve on whenever you move.
- Hold the chainsaw with both hands.
- The tool must always be revving during use.
- Work with the lower part of the guide bar and the chain on reverse whenever possible.
You will find a wide number of types and models of chainsaws available out there. The right tool will allow you to perform the required tasks in an efficient way. To pick the chainsaw that most suits you, you’ll have to consider aspects such as the power, the weight and the length of the guide bar. We’ll now look at the following criteria to help you make the best decision:
- Type of wood and uses
- Length of the guide bar
- Chainsaw weight
- Frequency of use
- Quality and warranty
- Front handle
- Transmission and safety
Type of wood and uses
The type of wood you want to cut will naturally influence your final decision, just like the use you want to make of it. Cutting soft, thin wood in your garden isn’t the same as intense and professional forestry work. Make sure you know exactly how you want to use it and on what types of wood before buying your chainsaw.
You should also settle for a model that offers the necessary power to complete all your tasks. In that regard, opt for a petrol engine if you carry out demanding work on hardwoods on a daily basis. On the other hand, you are advised to choose a more affordable electric chainsaw if you’ll use it occasionally in your garden.
Length of the guide bar
This is another key criterion that will have an impact on your purchase. The length of the guide bar will determine the diameter of the trunks and the size of the trees you can ultimately cut. Longer guide bars allow you to cut down large trees and thicker trunks. On the downside, it will also increase the weight of the tool and make it more uncomfortable to use.
Stick to smaller guide bars if you don’t need to cut thick trees. More affordable electric chainsaws generally feature these bars. They are ideal for odd jobs at home, such as taking care of a garden, cutting firewood or pruning trees. These lighter models can even be used with a single hand.
You should also take into consideration the weight of the tool before settling for a specific model. You will find working with a lighter chainsaw more comfortable. Light tools are ideal for those of us who have never used a mechanical saw. These models better absorb vibrations and therefore more fit for beginners.
The one problem with light chainsaws is that they tend to be less powerful. Heavier tools require engines with greater power, allowing you to do more demanding work on harder woods. If you need to carry out professional forestry work, you’ll definitely want to go for a heavy, well-balanced model that gives you greater stability.
Frequency of use
If you want to accurately pick a chainsaw that suits your needs, you need to estimate how often you’ll be using this tool. Electric models, as well as those operating with a battery, are ideal for short periods of use. This includes cutting firewood for the winter to tidy up a small garden.
Daily professional use in forestry requires you to opt for a model with a petrol engine. While these chainsaws will need more maintenance, they are also more powerful and durable. Take good care of your tool and you’ll be able to carry out the most demanding tasks on a daily basis without problem.
View this post on Instagram
One monster oak + one @stihl 880 + Granberg 60" Alaskan Mill + Alaskan Winch = 💰💰💰⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ @deadwoodrevivaldesign⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Save 25% on one of our summer bundles so you can tackle logs like this! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ SLABMASTER Bundle:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ☀️ 60" Alaskan Mill⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ☀️ 10FT EZ-Rails ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ☀️Alaskan Winch⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ☀️Precision Sharpener⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ☀️ Aux. Oiler Kit⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ .⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #alaskanmill #woodworking #makersgonnamake #interiors #woodwork #woodisgood #reclaimedwood #handmade #slab #furnituredesign #woodshop #sawdust #salvaged #woodworker #optoutside #chainsaw #maker #slabbath #designinspo #optoutside #woodartisan #woodworkz #architecture #power #homedecor #summersale #makermovement #granberg #granberginternational
Quality and warranty
When it comes to power tools, it is always a good idea to choose a product made by a trusted brand. We’ve mentioned the best manufacturers earlier, and they sell top quality tools made with the very best materials. These chainsaws will also offer the best features and the latest safety systems.
We also encourage you to check what warranty and after-sales service your tool comes with. The best brands will give you access to accessories and spare parts whenever you need them. There is a reason why those top brands have earned the trust of professionals, and that’s partly because their products come with top-notch services.
The gripping system is another criterion that you cannot overlook. If your front handle isn’t comfortable, prolonged use of your chainsaw will be almost impossible. If you’re not used to using these tools, you are advised to look for models with ergonomic grips and quick on/off buttons built into the handle.
Certain electric chainsaws are lighter and can features soft grips and ergonomic handles. Perfectly tailored to housework, these models are very comfortable to handle. For safety reasons, we recommend that you choose a chainsaw that has a protective plate for your left hand.
Transmission and safety
Certain chainsaws available on the market have anti-kickback systems. This is the main cause of accidents involving these tools. These devices are designed to prevent such accidents by immediately stopping the saw chain. We strongly advise you to make this feature a priority when choosing your chainsaw.
The type of chain transmission is the last aspect we want to invite you to consider. These parts are generally made with high-strength metal. This prevents wear and improves the useful life of the tool. The transmission is also responsible for the power of the chainsaw, meaning you need to buy one that fits your needs.
A chainsaw is ideal to help maintain your garden clean and beautiful. This tool will also allow you to prune your hedges and trees to keep them healthy and neat. Chainsaws are very complete and versatile tools, with which you can also cut firewood for your chimney or carry out forestry works such as cutting trees.
The Australian market offers a wide range of chainsaws, and you now know all about the key criteria to take into account when making your purchase. These aspects include its maintenance, weight, power and the length of the guide bar. If you pay attention to these factors, we’re confident you’ll get the chainsaw that best suits your needs.
If you liked our shopping guide, feel free to leave us a comment in the section below. You can also share this article on your social media so that others can also learn all about chainsaws.
(Source of featured image: Dmitrii Balabanov: 116141907/ 123rf.com)