How we pick our products
Coffee is the second most popular drink in the world after water. We have a cuppa in the morning to wake up, and another to stay awake at night. It’s a must for many after a meal, and the perfect excuse to take a break from work. Few things are as delicious as enjoying an authentic Italian espresso.
Moka pots prepare espressos through water evaporation, and they will help you make the most of this delicious drink. Many people think it’s actually the best way to prepare coffee. This article will show you why you should have this kind of coffee maker at home, and you’ll also learn about the very best models available on the Australian market.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our selecction: The best moka pots in the market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about moka pots
- 3.1 What is a moka pot exactly?
- 3.2 How do moka pots work?
- 3.3 Can I use my moka pot on induction hobs?
- 3.4 What accessories do I need for my moka pot?
- 3.5 Moka pot or capsule coffee machine: which is better?
- 3.6 How do I clean my moka pot?
- 3.7 What are the different parts of a moka pot?
- 3.8 What are the advantages and disadvantages of moka pots?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Also known as Italian coffee makers, moka pots are your best option to truly enjoy the flavours of coffee. In this day and age, our kitchens are filled with small appliances; you can opt for a different kind of household. Leave all cables, capsules and other difficult instructions behind: nothing should complicate something as simple as having a cup of coffee.
- Many people believe that that Italian coffee makers prepare the finest coffee. Some even say that no other method can make coffee taste quite the same.
- You’ll find an endless number of models within a fairly wide price range on the market. And don’t forget: some models are truly affordable.
Our selecction: The best moka pots in the market
We’ve compiled the very best Italian coffee makers on the Australian market just for you. This section will help you find out which model is the most suitable for your family and yourself. You’ll also learn to choose the perfect accessories and to assess the different shopping criteria.
- Pezzetti, 6-cup coffee maker
- Bialetti, 6-cup stovetop coffee maker
- Alessi, 3-cup coffee maker
- Bialetti, 6-cup induction coffee maker
- Decdeal, 100 ml coffee maker
Pezzetti, 6-cup coffee maker
Amazon’s Choice for moka pots comes from brand Pezzetti, which was founded in 1940 in Italy. These decades of experience have produced the Italexpress moka pot, here available in red. It comes in a set with 6 espresso cups so you can serve your guests in style. This Italian coffee maker is made from long-lasting aluminium.
The 6 elegantly matching ceramic cups are dishwasher safe, unlike the moka pot that you can easily take apart and wash by hand. This high quality coffee maker set by Alessi will provide you with delicious coffee for years to come at a bang-for-your-buck price!
Bialetti, 6-cup stovetop coffee maker
Bialetti is none other than the very first brand of moka pots, invented by Italian engineer and coffee lover Alfonso Bialetti. While other brands have come and gone over the decades, Bialetti remains the go-to brand for quality Italian coffee makers. Flaunting the most classic octagonal design and serving up to 6 cups of coffee, this is as traditional a moka pot as you’ll find.
With tradition comes superior quality, and it is no different with this product if you listen to its users. You’ll be pouring coffee delight into your cup in a matter of minutes, and the durability of this Bialetti product has been approved by the masses. It also works on electric stoves. Remember to use coffee ground specifically for moka pots.
Alessi, 3-cup coffee maker
Created by Italian designer and architect Alessandro Mendini, the AAM33/3 moka pot is as much a piece of art as it is a household appliance. Aluminium casted with a thermoplastic resin handle to prevent from burns, Alessi’s Italian coffee maker can make up to 3 cups. Note that the manufacturer recommends manual washing of this product.
Bialetti, 6-cup induction coffee maker
Bialetti’s 4833 stainless steel moka pot is tailored for people with induction hobs at home. This product is ideal if you want to keep enjoying your traditional Italian coffee in your new home, as it is suitable for all types of cookers. Its elegant design has satisfied customers looking for a modern twist on Bialetti’s classic moka pot. Available in 5 different colour styles, it is not dishwasher safe.
Decdeal, 100 ml coffee maker
Available in 4 different sizes, this little model of 100 millilitres is perfect for brewing one cup at a time, making it ideal for students or anyone living on their own. This Decdeal Italian coffee maker boasts an elegant and modern design that will fit in any house or apartment. Made from stainless steel, this affordable product offers great value for money.
Shopping Guide: Everything you should know about moka pots
You now know which are the best models of Italian coffee makers available on the Australian market. However, there are different aspects to take into consideration when making your final shopping decision. Here’s everything you should know about moka pots.
What is a moka pot exactly?
How do moka pots work?
When your coffee maker is ready, place it on the stove at the right temperature. Here’s a quick little tip that will save you some hassle: don’t press the coffee too hard inside the funnel to avoid overflowing. Finally, don’t forget that the coffee rises to the top part of the moka pot when the water boils.
Your coffee will be ready to enjoy once the coffee maker starts making a gargling sound. Be aware that the drink will spoil if it boils once it has reached the coffee collector. As you can see, there’s nothing easier than making your own coffee as long as you follow a few simple precautions.
Can I use my moka pot on induction hobs?
If you have this kind of stove in your kitchen, make sure to get a suitable model. To be safe, we recommend you to check the manufacturing material of the coffee maker: ferromagnetic steel is what you’ll be looking for. You should also make sure that your stove can actually work with small diameter appliances.
What accessories do I need for my moka pot?
|Grinder||For grinding your coffee|
|Espresso cup||For a perfectly sized coffee|
|Individual thermos||To have coffee on the go|
|Measuring spoon||To dose your coffee|
Moka pot or capsule coffee machine: which is better?
|Price||You can find moka pots for less than $20|
|Capacity||It can make coffee for several people at once|
|Consumption||It requires less energy|
|Maintenance||Its upkeep is very easy|
|Durability||It tends to be more resistant to damages|
How do I clean my moka pot?
Once your moka pot is nice and clean, store it disassembled to help the joint last longer. As part of the cleaning process, it is important that you check that the valve is free of any dirt. While newer models can be washed in the dishwasher, we recommend you to always clean it manually.
What are the different parts of a moka pot?
- Lid. It is used to prevent coffee from coming out of the coffee maker. It can be lifted to check if all the water has risen.
- Knob. It is placed on the lid and used to lift the latter without burning yourself.
- Coffee collector. This is the upper body of the coffee maker. Its function is to collect the coffee once prepared.
- Handle. Made from a heat insulating material, it lets you hold the coffee maker without burning yourself.
- Gasket. It separates the filter from the funnel. Generally made of rubber or silicone, it needs to be changed from time to time.
- Funnel. This is where the ground coffee is placed. The water rises from the bottom.
- Heating vessel. It is used to hold the water to prepare the coffee.
- Pressure release valve. Located in the heating vessel, its function is to release pressure. You should make sure not to put too much water into the tank for it to work properly.
- Filter. It is located between the collector and the funnel, and serves to prevent the ground coffee from mixing with the drink.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of moka pots?
There are many things you should keep in mind before buying your very own Italian coffee maker. This will help you choose the moka pot that best suits your specific needs. Here is our review of the most important shopping criteria:
When you’re calculating the capacity of your coffee machine, don’t forget that each cup measures 100 millilitres. Australians tend to drink quite a bit of coffee, so don’t be shy: two cups per person won’t be too much. If you want your coffee maker to quench everybody’s thirst at once, take into account the members of your household and multiply it by 2. In other words, we recommend you make 8 coffee cups if you are four people for breakfast.
There are other specific characteristics that you should take into account besides capacity. The type of stove you have is one such characteristic: as mentioned previously, not all Italian coffee makers are compatible with induction hobs. Dishwasher-safe models can also come in vert handy. Check all other features that may be important to you to make your life easier on the long run.
While most Italian coffee machines share a similar traditional design, you’ll also find wonderful alternatives. The classic pots come with a silver tone, but you can find models with different colours or even prints. However, don’t forget that it may be harder to keep these Moka pots in perfect condition.
It is essential for you to check whether your chosen model complies with safety regulations. Italian coffee makers present certain risks, as an accident may happen if the pressure rises and cannot be evacuated properly. The best thing you can do is make sure that your moka pot is correctly sealed when in use.
The material with which your moka pot is designed will affect the quality of the coffee. Most models are made from stainless steel or aluminium, and the former is usually better as it is a higher quality metal. Certain coffee machines are also chromed with copper or other materials, which increases the quality of their materials.
Designed to prepare the best possible coffee, moka pots create a unique and special taste. All lovers of the world’s most popular drink should have one of these. However, make sure you consider all aspects of this product when buying your one. Analyse thoroughly the different characteristics of your coffee maker to ensure you are successful in your purchase.
A traditional Italian moka pot will quickly become your best ally if you need to prepare several espressos at a time. Using it is truly easy as ABC! Clean the coffee maker well every time you use it to keep it in good condition. Don’t forget to dry it thoroughly to avoid humidity problems, and keep an eye on the wear of the gasket.
We hope you found this guide very interesting, so don’t hesitate to share it on your social media or leave us a comment in the section below!
(Source of featured image: Rybitskyi: 61853911/ 123rf.com)